Multi-family, multi-housing, condos, HOAs, townhouses and mixed-use communities present some of the most difficult solutions for professional roofing contractors and the owners. Numerous homeowners, association boards, different C.C. & R.'s, property management groups, and varying ages of properties, all create many opportunities for success or failure.
Multi-Housing Roofing Options
Most multi-housing units tend toward flat or low slope roofs, however, Roofing Southwest has seen everything from steep tile roofs in combination with flat foam roofing sections and everything in between. That means almost any material can be used on multi-housing communities. Each type of material has its advantages and disadvantages. Ideally, property owners should consult a professional roofer to help decide what type of material works best for their property.
- Built-Up Roofing (BUR): Built-Up roofing consists of multiple layers of material that are laminated together.
- Spray Foam: Spray polyurethane foam (SPF or just foam) is applied as a liquid (which puffs up once applied) and forms a continuous, seamless, protective barrier around vents, pipes and other protrusions through the roof.
- Modified Bitumen: Modified Bitumen (MB) is asphalt with modifiers added to it to give it plastic or rubber-like properties making it much more durable.
- Singly Ply Roofing: Single ply roofing membranes (sometimes referred to as PVC or TPO) is comprised of four basic elements — an insulation layer, a single ply membrane usually made of plastic or rubber, flashing and an adhesive.
- Metal Roofing: While not an ideal solution for absolutely flat roofs, metal roofing is terrific for low or even steep slope roofs. Typically made of steel, aluminum or copper, metal roofs can also be extremely attractive.
- Tile Roofing: Clay, terracotta, ceramic, concrete and slate tiles are extremely durable and add architectural grace and beauty to multi-family dwellings.
- Asphalt shingles: Asphalt shingles are the most common form of roofing material used in the United States, primarily because they are so affordable.
Keeping Tenants Safe and Happy
Perhaps the most challenging complication landlords and property managers have to deal with are the tenants … especially when the roof begins leaking causing property damage and loss. To avoid unpleasant legal situations, owners and mangers should have a professional roofer on standby for emergencies. Roofing Southwest takes pride it is service to multi-housing areas. We think about the tenants’ safety and make sure the parking lot is accessible to them throughout the day. In addition, we guarantee quick response times, including a 24-Hour Emergency Service and timely repairs using the highest quality materials. However, we strongly recommend that proper roof maintenance can avoid unhappy tenants altogether and we offer a variety of flexible maintenance contracts.
Our attention to detail, protection of tenants and their personal property, high quality, long lasting materials, and timely service, has provided continuity between tenants and property management companies or landowners. If your homeowners association or property management group is in need of a roof inspection, Roofing Southwest can provide a no-cost evaluation in a timely manner. We can offer various options, timelines or immediate service for your current needs.
Multi-Housing Projects by Roofing Southwest
Roofing Southwest has been providing successful guidance for landowners, property managers, HOAs and multi-housing communities since 1971. We have worked on many large projects from apartments to hotels and everything in between, including notable projects like the Village at Hayden, Sagewood Retirement Communities, Ten Loft Apartments, San Melia Condos, 201 West Apartments and many more. Because we are used to working with large roofs and organizations, we know how to mobilize quickly and provide large amounts of needed materials at a moment’s notice — a challenge that smaller roofing companies may not be able to meet.
Commercial Roofing across lower 48 states & Residential Roofing in AZ & NV
Free Roof Inspection
General Roofing Information
Service, Repair & Replacement
- Built-Up (BUR)
- Modified Bitumen
- Roof Asset Mgmt